Saturday, March 28, 2020

What Great Teachers Do Differently by Todd Whitaker. Self Reflection chapters 1 -6.

What Great Teachers Do Differently: 17 Things That Matter Most, Second Edition  This book has a lot to offer and much to parse through.  So I decided that I would review and reflect on it parts.  These are my thoughts on chapters 1 -6.   So often with "teaching"  books, I wonder how much of it will be applicable to me, as an assistant teacher.  I mean, at the end of the day, it is my job to support but it isn't  my classroom.  I am not the final arbiter and so it is a delicate balance dealing with students and other teachers.  This book really does have a wealth of information that is directly beneficial to me.  Some take aways so far:

1.  No matter how good or bad the programs in the schools, what really matters is the PEOPLE.   A good teacher can make all the difference in the lives of a child and contribute to the over all climate of the school.  I know in my own life there are teachers that I will always remember.  Mrs. A comes immediately to mind, as she always does.  It didn't matter what she was taking what mattered was HOW.

2. Set Expectations from the start and be consistent.  The rules have to apply evenly and to every student.  They have to be applied the same today and tomorrow - even if it's your favorite or least favorite student doing it.  This one is tough for me but I definitely have seen the importance of having fair and consistent expectations.  When the rules apply evenly, students know that you are fair and that they can expect you to keep them safe.  Children push boundaries to help them learn and in my role as a mom and as an educator, I honestly believe that they want someone to step them back when they push the limit too far.  They need to trust us to do that.

3.  I have always known the " we don't smile until Thanksgiving" adage is complete bullshit but I work with people who follow it.  I work with small children - a smile, love, kindness... it all matters and it matters every day.  Period.  Of course we all have bad days - even the kids, but how we say things can be as important as what we say.  This has been a big lesson in my life and something that I have to constantly remind myself of.

4.  Sending students to the office - this part of the book really gave me a different perspective from administrators point of view.  I grew up in the 70's and 80's.  Then, if you were sent to the office, you were in a LOT of trouble.  I lived in fear of my principal.  I never wanted to see her or talk to her - ever.  I realize now this is the wrong approach.  If a teacher has to ask for support, an administrators job becomes not just helping support behavioral expectations, but also to de-escalate the student.  After all, sending a student back from the office more upset than when they left doesn't help or support the teacher or the student.  This perspective really opened my eyes and changed the way I think about some things.

and finally, my biggest take away so far, really can't be understated.  Every teacher has high expectations for their students, but we need to have even higher expectations for ourselves.  I think it's really important to never fall into the "we've always done it this way" mentality.  I think it's really important to always be self reflecting, trying to improve our own practices, watch what our colleagues do well and maybe emulate them and finally, always be willing to learn something new.  I tell people all the time that we all have something to teach and we all have something to learn.  I have learned more from my students than I have probably ever taught.   That's true. 

I'm really enjoying this book so far.  Looking forward to the next part - chapters 7-13. 

No comments:

Post a Comment