Sunday, March 1, 2020

A Woman in No Man by Ataf Rum

A Woman Is No Man: A Novel by [Rum, Etaf]   This book was one that I selected for book of the month.  I wasn't sure about it, at first, but it sounded promising.  The basis story is about a young woman who is from Palestine who is being forced into a marriage by her family.  The young man that eventually becomes her husband, Adam,  lives with his family in the United States and she will be moving there with him after their marriage. 

I don't want to say too much about the plot because I really want you to read this one for yourself.  If you have ever read A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaleed Hosseini, this book has a similar voice.  I really enjoyed reading it.

The story moves quickly telling us about the lives of three women - Fareeda ( Adam's mother),  Isra (his wife) and Deya (their daughter).   It is a glimpse into a world that is closed and provides some understanding into what life is or might be like.

I gave it 5 stars, but I would give it more.  If you haven't read it, do it.   It's beautifully written and worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment