Friday, March 6, 2015

The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern

The Book of Tomorrow

This is the fourth book of Cecelia Ahern's that I have read.  I find her to be a brilliant author, with a lyrical, lilting style that engages the reader immediately; however, this book was the exception to the rule.  I found it to be cumbersome and have none of the appeal of her other works.  You certainly don't like the main character, Tamara, right away.  I get it.  She's a teenager, she's going through some extremely difficult things in her life.  I think if the other characters in the book: Arthur, Rosaleen, her mother, and even to a degree, Marcus, hadn't been so wearisome, it may have been worth continuing.  I have a hard and fast rule in my reading life - a book has 50 pages to engage me.  If you can't get me into the story in 50 pages, it probably isn't going to happen.  I broke that rule once this year for another book and regretted it.  I may break it again, based on the reviews that this book received ( slow at the beginning but worth it in the end and the fact that I love this author) but for now,  I am moving on to another book on my ever growing to be read list.  Really disappointed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment