Sunday, March 22, 2015

Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan

Sweet Tooth

My friend, Martha, recommended this book to me probably about a year ago.  I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to read it.  This was well written and thoroughly enjoyable.  It's the story of Serena, a bright girl from the English country side with prospects.  She has a talent for Math and so her mother encourages her to pursue an education in Mathematics.  Considering the story is set in the 1972 English countryside, this was a fairly bold proposition.  Although Serena does go to school for Math, it's Literature that is her true passion.   This passion, coupled with her love of Solzhenitsyn, is what lands her a job working for Mi5. 

It is a convoluted story with many twists and turns - I don't want to give too much away here.   It is so worth the read and enjoyable literally right up to the very last page.  Don't miss this one if you enjoy spy stories.  

No comments:

Post a Comment