Saturday, January 3, 2015

The Truth Teller's Lie by Sophie Hannah

Just finished my first book of the new year.  It wasn't the book I was intending to read first, but as my Nook was acting up, it just happened that way.  This one has been on my tbr pile for a while now, ever since I read the first in the Waterhouse & Zailer series - Little Face.  I read Little Face about a year ago now, and it was just amazing.  If you love mysteries/ thrillers - don't miss Little Face.


I started this book with high expectations and it did not disappoint.  I love that each of the Waterhouse & Zailer books seem to stand alone.  Although a character from Little Face was briefly mentioned, it was in passing and I didn't feel like I had to have read that story first to follow along with this one.
Sophie Hannah tells amazing thrillers.  The stories twist and turn in ways that can't be predicted, almost right up to the very end.  I would say that I did find the Big Baddie to be a bit predictable, but the way that you get there is a wild ride.  
My one complaint about these books is the heroine, Charlie Zailer.  Although she is very smart and has a lot going for her, she seems to have a low self esteem is appears to be constantly looking for love in all the wrong places.  I believe that she could be a stronger character with all this left out of the story completely and nothing would be missing.
Still if you enjoy a good mystery, I give this one four out of five stars - for reasons stated above.

No comments:

Post a Comment