Saturday, January 3, 2015

The Truth about Alice

I guess the cover of this book is really what got me interested in it.  It seemed, from the cover, to have a similar plot to other books I have read, most noticeably by Laurie Halsie - Anderson.  Still, there was just something about it that spoke to me, so I decided to read it.  I'm really glad that I did.
This is the first book I have ever read of Jennifer Matthieu's, but it won't be the last.  The story is about a girl named Alice, who is going to be a junior in high school.  She is a popular girl, but not the queen bee.  The story is mainly about what happens to Alice when people start spreading horrible lies about her and how quickly people, even her friends, are to believe them. 
Sociology was one of my favorite classes in school - understanding why groups of people behave in the ways they do and what makes them behave that way.  The changes in behavior that her friends exhibit don't happen over night for Alice, but they do happen and seem to be easier and easier for people as time goes on.
Alice is an extremely strong heroine and yet, we don't have a single chapter from her perspective until the very last one.  The entire story is moved through the point of view of others.  It is extremely well done.  I loved this book and admired Alice's ability to rise above the stupidity of others.  She reminded me of my daughter, though thankfully, nothing terrible like this has happened to her. 
It's a great read, and easy.  I read it in less than a day but the story, and it's lessons, will stay with me for a long time. 
Oh, and for those of you who know me, it totally didn't hurt that there were numerous Outsiders references in this one.  Gotta love my Ponyboy.  Stay gold, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment