Friday, January 2, 2015

Pop Sugar Reading Challenge - Making a Plan

As I reader,  I don't just read books - I consume them.  I'm always looking for ways to push myself and encourage reading books that I wouldn't usually select for myself ( hello, that's why I'm in a book club!)   I found this reading challenge and corresponding group on facebook, so I thought I would give it a try.  I realized at once that to be successful with a challenge of this magnitude, I needed a plan.  So here it is.   Any of you out there interested in this challenge  - it looks like a lot of fun.


  • a book with 500 pages - Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
  • a classic romance - a book that became a movie - 
  • published this year - Golden Son by Pierce Brown
  • a book with a number in the title
  • a book written by someone under 30 - V. by Thomas Pynchon
  • a book with non-human characters- Rise of the Dragons by Morgan Rice
  • a funny book - Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beato
  • female author- The Wicked Will Rise by Danielle Paige
  • one word title - Moth by Daniel Arenson ( if I like the first one, I may use this as the trilogy instead)
  • mystery or thriller - The Truth Tellers Lie by Sophie Hannah
  • a book of short stories When it Happens to You by Molly Ringwald
  • a book set in another country- The Budapest House by Marcus Ferrar
  • a non-fiction book The 6th Extinction by Elizabth Kolbert
  • a popular author's first book - Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
  • a book a friend recommended- Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks
  • a pulitzer prize winner- Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
  • based on a true story - All  that is Solid Melts into Air by darrough McKeon
  • new author - The Truth about Alice by Jennifer Mathieu
  • mom recommends- The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair by Joel Dicker
  • bottom of to be read list - Heading Out to Wonderful by Robert Goolrick
  • a book that scares you- The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
  • more than 100 years old - The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper
  • based entirely on it's cover - Love and Treasure by Ayelet Waldman
  • a book you should have read in highschool but didn't - Perks of Being a Wallflower
  • a book set somewhere you have always wanted to visit - River God by Wilbur Smith
  • a book released the year you were born - Love Story by Eric Segall
  • a book with bad reviews White Noise by Don DeLillo
  • a trilogy - wolf hall series
  • a book from your childhood - Fly by Night by K.M Peyton
  • a book set in the future - UnDvidide by Neal Shusterman
  • a book with a love triangle
  • a book set in highschool - The Truth about Alice by Jennifer Matthieu
  • a book that made you cry
  • a book with magic
  • a book with a color in the title - The Black Dahlia by James Elroy
  • a book by an author you've never read before
  • a book you own but haven't read- The Book of Strange New Things by Michael Faber
  • a book set in your hometown - THe Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon
  • a book written initially in another language - A Day in the Life of Ivan Denosovitch by Alexander Solzhenitsin Or Gulag Archipeligo  Volume 1.
  • a book set during Christmas- What Happens at Christmas 
  • a banned book - A Bad Boy Can Be Good for a Girl by Tanya Lee Stone
  • a book based on a tv show - Friday Night Lights
  • a book you started but didn't finish
  • a book with antonyms in the title- Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins
As you can see, this is a work in progress, but I wanted to get the gist of it here on paper to guide my reading.  And speaking of reading, it's time I finish here and get back to my book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment