Monday, January 5, 2015

The Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks

This one was suggested by a friend for my IRL book club. I thought it sounded interesting, so I am really glad that it was ultimately chosen.
This is a poignant story about Max, a young boy with special needs, and Budo, his imaginary friend.  I felt the book was extremely insightful about what it is to live as a child with special needs.  I love how he described Max, " You have to be the bravest person in the world to go out being yourself everyday, when no one likes who you are."   I think this is so true, especially of people with special needs who are so often misunderstood.
I love how Budo worked so hard to do the right thing, the hard thing.   He acts completely outside of his own self interest, finally, and that is a very difficult choice to make.  I love how he helps Max.  I especially enjoyed the scene with Max and the 5th grade bully.  A teacher can really appreciate how likely a story like that could be, especially a teacher who works with children like Max.
Finally, I would just like to say to Mr. Dicks, who is a teacher - not all "paraprofessionals" are like Mrs. Patterson and yes, sometimes the children really do love us - quite a lot.  Even those with special needs.  I gave this one  4/5 stars only because in some bits it seemed to drag on in an irrelevant way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment