Saturday, January 17, 2015

I Don't Usually Do Short Stories...

but for the PopSugar Reading challenge this was one of the subjects. I think the thing that I usually don't enjoy about them is the disjoint nature of them.  I'm always looking for some commonality - some prevailing theme that each story shares.  That is what I liked about this choice - When it Happens to You by Molly Ringwald - even though each story is independent, they are inter-related.


So Molly Ringwald - you heard that right!  As in the Pretty in Pink girl that everyone wanted to be in the 80's.  I have to say that I chose this book, at least in part, because, being a child of the 80's, I loved her so much.  It turns out that she is an amazing writer and I was more than pleasantly surprised.  I loved that while each story could be read alone, they all had a common link.  In some cases, the link took a little while to discover, but it was always there.  I loved that I could relate to most of the characters, except Phillip.  I could feel what they were feeling and relate to the situations that they found themselves in.  This book is well written and highly enjoyable.  It also makes you think and encourages reflection.  I would recommend it highly - 5/5 stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment