Monday, January 2, 2017

The Rbbit Back Literature Society by Pasi Ilmari Jaaskalainen

The Rabbit Back Literature Society   The first book of the new year, but not my first book for the 2017 challenge.  I've been working on that for a few weeks now.  I read this book for the author from another country category.    When I first picked this book up, in spite of the author's name, I had no idea that this was the case.  I had no idea that the author was from Finland and with my recent Backman  fascination,  I guess I'm starting to have a thing for Scandanavian writers.

This is one of the most original books I have read in a long time.  It's the story of Ella, a substitute English teacher who lives in the small town of Rabbit Back.  Here, the famous children's author, Laura White, is the local celebrity.  She has chosen 9 children to become members of the Rabbit Back Literature Society.  It is her intent to raise them up to be writers, which does, in fact happen.

After submitting a story to the local paper, Ella is invited to join the society.  This book is about what she learns after she becomes a member.  I enjoyed all the twists and turns and that it really kept you guessing.  The Game was a bit creepy, in my opinion.

I think that this book would also work as Magical realism because it definitely works to bridge the every day and the magical.  There is even a touch of horror in the story.  I gave it three stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment