Sunday, January 8, 2017

Hidden Figures

Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly  My goal is to read more nonfiction books this year.  This one was number 1 out of 12.   I also read this for my reading challenge task book being made into a movie. 

When I was a girl,  I had trouble with math.  When I was in highschool, I asked a teacher for help.  His response was, "Don't worry about it.  You're a girl and your brain will never understand algebra".   Because of him,  I took four times the math requirement in college.   This book made me feel so vindicated in so many ways.

I loved the story, though it was a bit dry at times.  I think this is often the downfall of nonfiction - they have so many facts that they feel they have to work into the story that it weighs it down.  For example,  I didn't need to know how much they made doing laundry during the summer. I get that provides background knowledge of the characters but it didn't feel relevant to their work for NASA.

I'm really glad that this story was told and that this women were finally given the recognition that they deserve.  I really want to see the movie at some point.  I gave this one four stars.  Worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment