Sunday, January 8, 2017

The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

The Underground Railroad     If you have read my blog for any length of time, you know that I usually avoid Oprah's book choices like the plague.     I find them usually to be over rated and the lemmings that do whatever Oprah tells them to perpetuate the illusion.  It was worse when she had her talk show but it's still bad.  Try this tea!  Oprah loves it!   So?  I most often feel that Oprah wouldn't know a good book if it bit her on the ass, but occasionally we all get lucky.

No I don't think it's the best book of the century but it is beautifully written with deep and compelling characters. I adored Cora.  I thought she was brave and smart.   In fact the only characters that I didn't like are the ones that  the reader isn't supposed to.

Parts of the book - the plantation, South Carolina, the transits..... were action packed and riveting.  Other parts - North Carolina - for example were a little slow and dry.  That's why this book only gets a four not a five.  I enjoyed it.  I'm glad I read it but it didn't quite make me feel what Cora felt, see what she saw, smell what she smelled.  I just feel slightly shy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment