Tuesday, June 2, 2015

P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han

Han is definitely a master story teller.  Most of her books are YA, but they all speak about relationships, whether they be family relationships, friendships or love interest, on a deeper level.   This is the continuation of the book To All the Boys I've Loved Before.  I'm so glad that Ms. Han continued the beautiful story of the Song sisters and their tragedies and triumphs. 

I loved every character in the book, except, of course, Genevieve.   I mean honestly, after everything, who could love her?   Even the minor characters have a rich story.  I loved Stormy, the senior center resident who encourages Laura Jean to really experience her life and live without regrets.  Then there is Kitty, Laura Jean's youngers sister who sorted of started this whole story in the first book.  She's hysterical.

Laura Jean is, herself, a complex girl.  Her character is written in the way that I think a sixteen year olds character should be.  She's complex - she feels lots of things sometimes all at once because that is a teenager for you.  Most of all,  I love that when her relationship goes south, she doesn't just cry and give up ( though there are tears).... but life goes on and that, is reality.  No matter how much something hurts, life can and must go on.

Finally, I loved this one because, oh boy, does she bring those feelings back.  Laura Jean is right, you never forget your first.   Firsts are special.  You never forget the first time you kiss a boy who really means something to you, the first time your heart does that little flip at his smile, or catches at the way he says your name.  This book brings those feelings back.

I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.  It's a great read but you have to read the first book in the series first.

No comments:

Post a Comment