Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Elite and The One by Keira Cass

I started reading this series just the other day.  I described the initial book, The Selection, as a cross between the Hunger Games and the Bachelor.   Totally nailed that one.   Still, this series was a quick and entertaining read.   I was even a little surprised by the conversation about politics in the middle of book 2.   That aspect of the story was all about how a people in a Republic could or would willingly choose to accept a Monarchy.  Interesting concept, right?

I was surprised by the depth that this added plot line gave to the story.  I wish that it would have been developed further, but at the end of the day, that isn't what this YA novel was about.   Not really.  If you are looking for something fun, something that won't make you think to hard - brain candy, essentially, then this is a great read.  Don't expect any real depth here, it's hinted at but never really develops.   I'm not sure about the next book, The Heir.  I may eventually read it, but I'm not sure if I hold much hope that it will become more than it's predecessors. 3 out of 5 stars for entertainment value.

No comments:

Post a Comment