Saturday, May 16, 2015

Guardians Book One: The Girl

Guardians: The Girl (The Guardians Series, Book 1)    I read this one for my Flights of Fancy reading challenge.  This is the story of Emerson, a teenage girl whose job it is to help a group of teenage angels find the key to saving the world.   Sounds trite, I know but the plot is actually quite good.

Now, here comes my problem with this book - the secondary characters are all extremely well developed and you feel for each one of them.  I loved the twins - especially Rio, but I also loved Reese and Jay.   There stories are rich and well fleshed out so that you can understand the motives.  The main three characters Emerson ( love this name for a girl)  Max ( really???? Max??) and Ameana are so shallow they are basically shadows of what these characters could have been.

Emerson is in love with Max, no one really knows why.  She sees him and LOVES him, Has to have him or she will just die..... but what does he do to warrant this affinity?   Absolutely nothing.  In fact, he is in a relationship with Ameana and repeatedly tells Emerson, I love you but will never be with you - LAME.  Ameana has no back story to speak of, nor does Max.  We really don't understand what motivates them other than perhaps dedication to their mission.  Worse yet, there are even conflicting descriptions of these characters - Ameana especially.  She is described as having blond hair - and it shines when she and Max are physical.  Then she is described later as being dark.  It's all very confusing.

I got this book as a Nook free Friday.  I'm glad I didn't buy it because although I loved the concept and the secondary characters, the three mains were so simply constructed that it was difficult to get past.  2/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment