Saturday, May 2, 2015

Flights of Fantasy Update

Cover art  I added 5 more books to this challenge this month, bringing my total to 18 out of 50.   I know some people have a stricter definition of what constitutes a fantasy read, but for me,  I define it as any work of fiction that uses magic or supernatural phenomena as a primary plot element.  Whew, I've gotten that out of the way.

So let's get on with it.... I'll break this down into three sections.... pass it by,  borrow it, and READ IT NOW!  

Pass it by:
Grace of Day by S.L. Naeole.  This was the fourth book in a series.   The first two books: Saving Grace and Bird Song, were quite good and entertaining.   The third book, Black Halo started to drag and by the time we get to the fourth book, well, let's just say that I had little but contempt for 90%  of all the characters in the book.  In my earlier review on this blog, I left it as a book that shouldn't have been written.  So often, I think writers feel they need a series, when in truth, the  story would have been better served ending much earlier.  That is definitely the case here, in my opinion.

Cold Spell by Jackson Pierce... this book intrigued me because it is a retelling of the Snow Queen.  I love fairy tales.... always have and I imagine that I always will.   This book was just simplistic, in my opinion.   There were unexpected characters that didn't seem to really work, and plot elements that just seemed out of place - for example - how does the Snow Queen turn her protectors into wolves, like werewolves only they aren't werewolves?   Needless to say, this is not a story I would recommend to anyone.  What a disappointment.

Borrow it -
The Sin Eaters Daughter - this book has a very different mythology that is quite detailed.  The love triangle aspect of it is.... developing and the story is unique.  I found this book to be entertaining.  Again, the first in a series so I hope the author knows where she is going with it.  It's worth picking up from your library if you enjoy science fiction.

And now... the good stuff.  If you love fantasy the next two books are a must!

Dune by Frank Herbert.... most fantasy lovers may have already read this one.   I had seen the film some time ago but never read the book.  I LOVED it.  It is like Game of Thrones meets Star Wars.   Its well written and fast paced with so much intrigue.  If you haven't read this one yet, do it!

and of course.... The Wicked Will Rise by Danielle Paige.  This was just amazing, especially for those of us who truly love the Ozian  mythology.   Amy Gum, the protagonist, is like a breath of fresh air.  She's strong, clever and independent but still working on figuring out just exactly who she is.   Aside from Amy,  Danielle Paige has built places into Oz that feel like they have always been there, and yet, I never knew existed.  Trust me, the Sea of Flowers and Rainbow Falls are not to be missed!
I need 31 more books for this challenge.  It will be interesting to see what the month of May brings to the table.  Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment