Thursday, February 19, 2015

All The Bright Places

All the Bright Places

I will put this one under the category - book that made you cry.  A truly great story is one that makes you FEEL something and this book certainly does that.  It's the story of Theo Finch and Violet Markey.  They meet on the bell tower of their school where they are both, for various reasons, committing suicide.  Violet is grieving for her sister who died in a car accident.  She is living a half life - refusing to get in a car - quitting all the things that mattered to her out of misplaced guilt for what happened to her sister.  Until she meets Theo Finch. 

They end up doing a geography project together where they have to explore Indiana.  Through these "wanderings" they learn about life, each other and especially themselves.  I loved all the symbolism in this book - the blue holes, the cardinal story and especially the names.  The author took such great care with the names that I knew it couldn't be an accident.  She mentions two birds prominently here, so I looked up the symbolic meaning of Finches.  I was not surprised to learn that a finch is both symbolic of happiness and enjoying the journey; whereas, ultraviolet is the color or mourning.

Don't miss this book.  It's the best I've read so far this year.  I loved it from start to finish.  Take the time to also read the afterward by the author.  If I could give this one more than 5 stars, I would. 

3 comments:

  1. Such a great review. Thanks for highlighting the symbolism, I didn't realize it until reading your post. This proves that all of us have different interpretation in reading a book and I learn something by reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for recommending this book - as I said - I loved it. As a writer, I know that the names we choose hold a certain power. I do think the symbolism added to my understanding of the book. I'm glad you thought so, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I said on your Quarterly summary, this one is on my list as well. Glad you liked it and hope I do as well!

    -Dave

    ReplyDelete