Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Max: Best Friend. Hero. Marine by Boaz Yakin

   I saw the previews for the movie and while it looked very sad, it also looked very good.   I've read quite a few books about military dogs this year and I was intrigued.  Of course, as a book lover, the rule in my house is you don't see the movie unless you have read the book.  I know the movie would have been a disaster for me, but the book was more approachable.

This is the story of a boy, Justin, who loses his older brother, Kyle, in the war.   Kyle was one of those special Marines who is lucky enough to work with a service dog.   The military brought Max back to the States for Justin's funeral.   Max didn't take the lose very well and had difficulty adjusting to a new handler.   The military deemed him dangerious and was going to have him destroyed, but somehow, he responded to Justin.   Justin's family agrees to take Max on and a wonderful bond is born.  But when Kyle's best frined, Tyler, comes home from the war, why does Max react the way he does?   This is a great story about loss, love and loyalty.

I especially recommend it for boys - reluctant readers - between the ages of 8-13 and young ones experiencing a loss.  4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment