Saturday, November 28, 2015

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

   I'm not sure what compelled me to pick this one up, but whatever it was, I'm glad for the inspiration.

This is the story of young Oskar, who lost his father during the attacks on September 11th.   Oskar finds a key among his father's belongings and goes on an incredible journey to find the lock that the key opens.  Along the way, Oskar meets a strange assortment of characters, most with the last name Black, who help him along his way.

In his quest,Oskar inadvertently  finds healing for himself and many others as well.   Sometimes the book was difficult to follow as it changed perspectives and narrators.  Still, it was well worth facing this challenge.

That day is a day that still lives close in my heart.  I remember watching the towers fall.  I remember the jumpers, and the smoke and the tragedy.  Oskar's story tells his experience of that shared collective memory.  4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment