Saturday, January 11, 2020

Thoughts on the 12 novels considered the best ever written

So Britannica created a list of the 12 best novels ever written.  Usually I find that most of these "lists" are extremely pro-British, but I find this one, while erroneous, to be quite inclusive.  How refreshing.  Their list can be found here:  https://www.britannica.com/list/12-novels-considered-the-greatest-book-ever-written?fbclid=IwAR10iAIxB3OMtktSiJcnVZY0hae7uPUPcFubcpB7EV8V58krtq-RHI10fgQ

Like all lists of this nature, the selected works are chosen in a completely subjective manner.  Since I don't believe that any one opinion has any more validity than another, particularly in regard to reading,  I have created my own list. Realize of course that every reader reads a book differently and our perceptions are all colored by our experiences and therefor, our opinions are as well.

Without further adieu,  my list in no particular order other than first:

The Lord of the Rings trilogy by JRR Tolkien.    The story of Bilbo's young nephew, Frodo, and his journey to save Middle Earth.   I love this story - every single second of it.  The idea that the smallest person can change the course of human events is something that I have always believed and Tolkien is part of the reason.  This story is an inspiring story of friendship, hope, courage and love.  It epitomizes both the best and worst in all of us.  For me, Tolkien is and always will be the Master Storyteller.  This quote seemed particularly potent today:  “Frodo: I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.   First of all, this book contains, in my opinion, the greatest single sentence ever written.  It is the opening stanza.  It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.  

What could possibly be added to improve Dickens.  This book is a spy story, an adventure novel and a love story all rolled into one.  It is slow going at first and at times, the characters can be easily confused, but it is so worth the effort.

No list of great books would be complete without Harry Potter.   JK Rowling helps to make the magic real.  Harry grows with the reader and has become part of our lives.  I read my first Harry Potter novel because a religious leader told me I shouldn't.  I am forever grateful.  Fantasy is my thing and this is a wonderful tale of friendship, courage and the ultimate battle of good and evil within ourselves.  It is so much more than a children's story.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.  Probably the single greatest book about leadership that I have ever read.  What a story about a boy who inadvertently nearly kills an entire race and also saves it. The Enemy's gate is always down. 

Red Rising series by Pierce Brown.  This one is a new favorite but it simply had to be included.  It is a sweeping tale of what it means to be a hero, what it means to fight a revolution and the challenges one faces when they are running a government versus fighting one.  This series really runs the complete gamut.  It is very thought provoking especially considering the historical context/ backdrop within which it was written. 

Gone With the Wind - because in my opinion, no list of best books ever would be complete without Margaret Mitchell's sweeping tale.  I think for me, what makes Gone with the Wind worthy of being on this list is the relationships between the characters - most notably Scarlett/ Melanie and Scarlett/Rhett.   This book demonstrates so beautifully, that in relationships, there are some things we just can't overcome - even though we may want to.  Sometimes life gets in the way and we must confront that and find a way to deal with it.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.  Because whatever you think of Ayn Rand's politics/philosphies, the fact remains that she is a beautiful writer and deserves to be on this list.  This book is hardly her favorite of mine - I prefer Anthem, We the Living and Fountainhead to this one; however, it is a sweeping work which best reflects her thoughts and ideologies.  The arguments made in this book have been replayed in real life, many times.  I used to admire John Galt, but now I know that a real hero never shrugs.  Still worth the read.

Dune the series by Frank Herbert.  I didn't understand, until recently when I read Children of Dune, what a huge environmentalist Frank Herbert was.  Perhaps I should have seen it sooner, but I was much younger when I read the first book.  At any rate, when considering this fact the implications of his work are so much larger.  Think about it "He who controls the spice, controls the universe".  When you put it into perspective, you can see how true this is and how we are still waiting for the kwisatz haderach.

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.  What a long, trudging book to read but the people and the values represented - so painstakingly real.  Stenbeck once said, and I'm paraphrasing here, that the greatest threat posed to any society is leisure and plenty.  I agree with that assessment.  The Joads represent the best of us before that was our affliction.

The Outsiders by SE Hinton.  This is a story about what it means to be an outsider, how maybe all of us have felt that way at one time or another.  This book really is timeless -- it relates as much to teenagers today as it did the day it was written.  Add to the fact that it was written by a 16 year old girl...well.  It's an amazing accomplishment.  Ponyboy Curtis stays with me so much that years after I can still remember most of the dialogue in the story including "when I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind - Paul Newman and a ride home".  

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.   As I woman, I almost hate to include this one; however, Margaret Atwood's dystopian tale has turned out to be oddly prophetic.   Look at the events unfolding in places like Alabama and Ohio and tell me that a woman's rights to her own fertility aren't under assault.   This is what happens when religious zealotry is allowed to parade as governance.  We are steps away for Gilead my friends. 

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne No list is complete without Hawthorne's tale of women in religious society.   The judgement passed on Hester while her co-sinner suffers in silence is so telling of how woman have been treated in the past and are still treated today.  

And finally, My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell you She's Sorry by Fredrick Backman.  I included this book not because it deserves to be on this lift, but because ALL of his books do and this one happens to be my favorite.  Told in one, big ongoing metaphor this a moving tale about a girl, her relationship with her grandmother and coming of age.  I loved it and all his books from start to finish.  So if the 12 books brought to you by Britannica weren't quite your cup of tea,  try some of mine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment