Monday, December 26, 2016

The Circle by Dave Eggers

Image result for the circle   This one has been sitting on my TBR list for over two years now.  I was finally motivated to read it when I saw that there is a movie coming out in the new year starring Tom Hanks and Emma Watson.  I love both of them!  We have a rule in our house - you can't see the movie until you've read the book.  It's a great rule and so,  I picked up the book and began to read.

It starts off slowly with Mae getting a job at a social networking company called The Circle with the help of her friend, Annie.   The book starts off with what her life is like at her new job, how utopian it is and how the Circle is helping so many people in many different ways throughout the world.  I don't want to give too much of the plot away here.

I will say that it took me about 135 pages to really get into the story but once I was in, things started to happen quickly.  I'd like to say that I can't see how things that happened in the book could happen in reality but the truth is,  I can see EXACTLY how those things happened.  I mean, I read a book and what am I doing?  I'm here on social media sharing my thoughts on what I read.  It's what we do. 

The Circle struck me as very Orwellian in nature and I suspect, that like Orwell, one day this book will be considered prophetic.  One quote in particular stayed with me and I want to leave you with it:

Secrets are Lies
Sharing is Caring
Privacy is Theft.


I gave this one 5 stars.  Powerful and thought provoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment