Tuesday, December 15, 2015

The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson

   This book was recommended by a friend to our book club for our discussion for the month of Dececmber.  I didn't have high hopes,  it isn't a book I would have selected for myself but can I just tell you that I absolutely LOVED it.

The book starts out when Allan decides that he doesn't want to attend his own 100th birthday party, so he climbs out the widow and has an adventure.   Everything seems so impromptu and yet, if you have any experience with older people, seem somehow completely plausible.   This story was laugh out loud funny and I found Allan to be completely relatable.

I loved that fact that even at 100, Allan still felt like he had life to live.  He wasn't ready to pack it all up and celebrate the past, he was still busy living.   And what a life!    I think that in our society today, older people are often underestimated.   This book really brings that to the fore.  Sometimes it is a bit long, but it truly is  worth every minute spent reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment