Thursday, December 24, 2015

Kissing In America by Margo Rabb

   I've waited a long time to read thisbook.  I've been waiting forever and finally,  it went on sale and I scooped it up.   I almost never pay full price for a book  unless it's an author that I buy without even reading the cover - like Leila Meacham,  Kate Morton or Gillian Flynn.    This book was somehow both more and less than what I thought it would be.

The book is about a girl, Eva,  who lost her father to a terrible tragedy.  As a result of her and her mother's inability to deal with their grief,  Eva seems to be floundering aimlessly, until she meets Will.   You konw,  he's the perfect boy that has  some commonality with her that just seems to "get it" and when she's with him, even her grief goes away.  Vomit.    But alas,   Will has to move to CA to be with his dad and maybe our star crossed lovers will never see each other again.

Now for the REAL part of the story-  the abiding friendship between Annie and Eva.   They plan an across country trip to participate in a game show - The Smartest Girl in America.  Eva, of course, wants to see Will ( vomit)   but also to help Annie win the show so that  she can achieve her life long dream of  attending MIT.

I won't give away any more of the plot.  Here's what I liked:  I loved the real grief that Eva has for her father.   I adored the friendship between Eva and Annie and that Annie finally learned the true value of that  friendship.  I hated Eva's weakness when it came to boys and I absolutely despised what a complete douche  that Will is.     In spite of the great travel scenes, the flavor of America,  the  lessons about living life - this book was only eh for me.  I gave it three stars because it is well written.

No comments:

Post a Comment