Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Pop Sugar Challenge Update


I'm finished!  This challenge was fantastic, it really encouraged me to spread my wings and broaden my reading horizons.  Here is a list of all the books I read, at the bottom, for those so inclined I will list my top 10 - not to be missed books I read due to this challenge and the top 10 biggest busts.  Check it out


  • a book with 500 pages - Black Halo by S.L. Naeole
  • a classic romance - The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper
  • a book that became a movie - With Love, Rosie by Cecelia Ahearn
  • a book published this year - And the Wicked Will Rise by Danielle Paige
  • a book with a number in the title - 20 Boy Summer 
  • a book written by someone under 30 - Split 
  • book by a female author - Teasy by Amanda Maciel
  • mystery or thriller - The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
  • book with a one word title - Moth by Daniel Aronson
  • book of short stories - When it Happens to You by Molly Ringwald
  • a book set in a different country - Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
  • nonfiction - Reading in the Dark by Seamus Deane
  • new author - Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward
  • a book recommended by a friend - Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks
  • Pulitzer Prize winner - All the Light We Can Not See by Anthony Doerr
  • a book based on a true story - The Boys in the Boat
  • a book from the bottom of my TBR list - Heading out to Wonderful by Robert Goolrick
  • a book 100 years old - Call of the Wild by Jack London
  • a book based on the cover - Love and Treasure by Ayelet Waldman
  • a book I should have read in school - Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
  • a book I finished in a day - The Truth about Alice
  • a book with antonyms in the title - The Truth Tellers Lie by Sophie Hannah
  • a book set somewhere I've always wanted to visit - Parlor Games 
  • a book with a love triangle - the Sin Eaters Daughter
  • a book set in high school - Never, Never by Colleen Hoover
  • a book set in the future - The Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card
  • a book with a color in the title - Golden Son by Pierce Brown
  • a book that made me cry - All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
  • a book with magic - The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black
  • a graphic novel - Ender's Game : Battle School
  • a new author - The Good Girl by Mary Kubrica
  • a book owned but not read - The Story Teller by Jodi Picout
  • a book set in my hometown - The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon
  • a book originally written in a different language - little Mercies by Heather Gudenkauf
  • a book set during Christmas - Saving Grace by S.L. Naeole
  • a book series:  The Selection, The Elite, The One
  • a banned book: A Bad Boy Can Be Good for a Girl
  • a book started but never finished ( but now I have finished )  Perks of Being a Wallflower
  • first book of a famous author - Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
  • a book from childhood - Fly by Night by K M Peyton
  • a book with non human characters - Half Brother by Kenneth Oppal
  • a funny book - Hark!  A Vagrant! by Kate Beaton
  • a nonfiction book - The 6th Extinction: An Unnatural History
  • a book from an author you love but haven't read yet - The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks
  • book based on a TV show - The Pines
  • a book with an author with my initials - Bird Song S.L.  Naeole
  • a book that scares me - Not Without My Daughter by Betty Mahmoody
  • a memoir - American Titan - Searching for John Wayne
  • a book released the year I was born - Jonathan Livingston Seagull
  • a book with bad reviews - The Luxe\
  • a book my mother loves - Gifts from the Sea by Ann Murrow Lindberg

And now, those books that I would probably not have read wtihout this challenge with were absolutely FANTASTIC - in no particular order:

  • The Last of the Mohicans
  • Salvage the Bones
  • All The Light We Cannot See
  • Of Mice and Men
  • Speaker for the Dead
  • All the Bright Places
  • The Mysteries of Pittsburgh
  • Half Brother
  • The 6th Extinction
  • The Pines
Some books that I wished I had passed on - over hyped or just not well written, in my opinion:
  • The Girl on the Train
  • Ender's Game: Battle School - Graphic novels are not for me, too distracting
  • The Good Girl
  • Little Mercies - so bad I couldn't force myself to finish
  • A Bad Boy Can Be Good for a Girl - just as terrible as it sounds
  • Hark! A Vagrant!  - once you've read Hyberbole and a Half - nothing else is ever quite that funny
  • The Luxe
  • Moth - loved Daniel Aronson's other stuff, but this one was really flat.
  • The Boys in the Boat - I wanted to love it and just didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment