Saturday, July 18, 2015

Armada by Ernest Cline

Armada  Greetings, Starfighter!

  Ever since I read Ready Player One,  I have been a huge fan of this man.   When this book came out, I was beyond excited.  Downloaded it right away.  So glad that it didn't disappoint.

Some people think that this was a rip off of the plot from The Last Starfighter.  It isn't.  I've seen The Last Starfighter, probably more times than I should admit to, and this isn,t it.  What this book does is pay homage to so many of those wonderful science fiction books and movies of the 80's that so many of us grew up with and loved, of which Starfighter is one.

I loved how the names in the story gave nods to various movies and pop culture.  Lightman, anyone?   Happened to be Matthew Brodericks' character in War Games. And others of course, which I won't spoil for you.

Some people have suggested that the character development is flat.  The pace of this book is faster than Ready Player One, so there isn't as much time for that.  However, of course people can and do change in a 72 hour period - especially when they are going through something as life altering as Zach does.    This book was fun and it even managed to hide some important lessons in there.  No, it's not Pulitizer material but it is fast- paced, thrilling, nostalgic and fun.  I especially loved the Raid the Arcade mix.  I already had most of them on my ipod but not grouped together - I do now.  And Black Betty?  That's been in my head for days now.

If you grew up loving  sci-fi, like I did, don't miss this one.  5 out of 5 stars for just being a thrill ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment