Monday, July 27, 2015

A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler

A Spool of Blue Thread     Anne Tyler books - I always find the covers so appealing.  I read the back synopsis and think to myself "Maybe this time...."  and so I get sucked in.  In other words, for me, Anne Tyler's work is a lot like  a food allergy.   The strawberries look red and delicious and I think , "Maybe this time I won't break out in terrible hives"  but I always do.   Same principal here.   I have read three books by Anne Tyler - they all leave me with the same taste in my mouth - flat and unsatisfied.   This book was no exception and this time, I'm putting it down in writing - This is my LAST book of hers.  The definition of Insanity is doing the same thing expecting a different result, and I have been insane.  No longer.  This book cured me once and for all.

There wasn't a single character that I related to.  They were all two dimensional constructs.  The main part of the story for me is where Red's parents are killed by the train and Red and his wife ( she's so strong I character that I can't even remember her name now...)  discuss their philosophy of death.  Red wants it to be quick and the wife wants to see how it all turns out - the long goodbye.  Tyler's plot lines are like that in this book - some go on forever even though you wish desperately that they would end and others just drop off completely without any resolution.

I read to learn new things, experience new things, escape reality for a little while.  Tyler's books are like having a root canal.  Never again.

No comments:

Post a Comment