Thursday, June 4, 2020

Love Story by Erich Segal

Love Story    I read this one for the coronacation challenge.  The category was a book written the year you were born.  I was going to read some obscure Sc-fi title but I just couldn't get into it.  All the books from 1970  seemed a little iffy,  I'm not sure it was a great year for literature, so I decided to go with a best seller.  Enter Love Story.

So, if you are my age or older,  you definitely know the story.  "Love means never having to say you're sorry".  And even knowing going in exactly what I was going to get,  I STILL ugly cried.  I didn't love it, but it is a moving story about what it really means to love another person.

Some thoughts on the characters - Oliver, of course, was completely predictable.  A man's man.  A Jock.  Jenny calls him "preppy".  Big money but he is also more than he appears.  He leaves all that his family can provide for a chance at love - with Jenny.  Let's talk about her though.  Were women really like this in the 70's?  Or is she just a man trying to write a female character?  I really couldn't figure it out.  There were things about her I loved, but she seemed like the "cool" girl working too hard at times.  

Either way,  it's a beautiful, short and meaningful story and I'm glad I read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment