Sunday, June 7, 2020

The Two Lives of Lydia Bird

The Two Lives of Lydia Bird  This was one of my book of the month choices.  If you aren't a member of book of the month yet, but you are an avid reader, I highly recommend it.  I love that unlike other book boxes, you actually get to choose which books you want.  That month not your cup of tea?  Just skip.  No problem.  I will say that I have read several titles - like A Woman is No Man - that I may not have read otherwise and I went on to absolutely love.

But on to the review of this book.  This is the story of Lydia who is living a perfect life.  She's engaged to her one true love and they are about to be married.  Until he dies in a car accident on the way to her birthday.  Not giving anything away here, that's all on the dust jacket. Growing up, Lydia, Freddie and Jonah were best friends - inseparable.  Then, the accident.  Freddie and Jonah were both in the accident and only Jonah makes it back.  Now Lydia and Jonah are left to pick up the pieces.

Lydia has a hard time sleeping.  So she goes to the doctor who gives her a new medicine to help.  While she's asleep - she sees Freddie.  And he's still alive and well, there lives going on as they were meant to. While she is awake, her real life goes on without him.  

The dreams allow Lydia to work through her life without Freddie.  To grow and move past it.  There were some really crazy thing that happened - her inexplicable trip and her romance at the end - that I thought were unnecessary and trite.  I gave it 3 stars.  A cute idea, but just didn't really cut it for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment