Sunday, June 14, 2020

The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager

The Last Time I Lied: A Novel   I just read this one for my book club.  WOW.   I'm really glad I did.  It was the hardest book to put down since I read the Silent Patient.  Loved it.  So many twists and turns - all REALLY well done. 

This is the story of Emma,  a young 14 year old girl who goes away to camp for the first time.  It is a well known camp for girls of the affluent.   While there she meets Vivienne, Natalie and Allison.   Vivienne especially takes Emma under her wing, treats her like a little sister.  But one night, the three girls sneak out of their cabin and never return.

This story takes place in the past ( 15 years ago) but also in the present.  Camp Nightengale has just reopened and Emma, now a famous artist, has been invited back to teach the girls art.   

The author does a wonderful job of carefully weaving the stories together, revealing just enough of the past and mixing it - at just the right moment- with the present.  This book really grabbed me and kept me reading.  I usually have a book for the pool, the tub and bedtime.  This book was so engrossing that it superseded everything else I was reading because it had to.  

5 stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment