Saturday, May 9, 2020

The Mother In Law by Sally Hepworth

The Mother-in-Law   This one just showed up on my interest guide on amazon one day and it looked appealing.   I mean, who hasn't had ups and downs with their mother in law?

Lucy's relationship with her mother in law has been troubled from the start.  Still , Lucy loves her husband, her father in law and the rest of the family.  Is it really as bad as it seems?

I really enjoyed the character development of Lucy, Tom and Diana.   I thought that Ollie was a little lacking but maybe he was only meant to be a bit character anyway.  I could relate to his sister Nettie and her troubles throughout the book. 

Sometimes I don't enjoy the back and forth between past and present in addition to character point of view.  In this case though, I think the technique works well to allow the author to develop both Lucy and Diana's character while telling their stories and back stories as she moves the plot forward.  The character development was well thought out -even if some of the "twists"  weren't much of a surprise.

I gave this one a three and I enjoyed reading it.  Entertaining but lacking the depth that I usually reserve for higher rated books.

No comments:

Post a Comment