Saturday, May 23, 2020

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

Something Wicked This Way Comes: A Novel  This was part of my work coronacation challenge.  This was for the category "a book you should have read in school but didn't".   Technically I did read it.  In 8th grade; however, it just wasn't my cup of tea so I sped read through just to get the gist and pass the test. 

Oddly enough, I was in Catholic school at the time.  This book was recommended - required - by one of the nuns.  Sister Eileen.  She hated me.  At any rate, as I was reading it this time,  I found it oddly hilarious that she recommended this book.  She must have missed the scene where the boys go to the outdoor "theater"  which turns out to be a house that leaves it's shades open - and watch the entertainment there, which is described.  LOL.    It was brief but definitely there.  I nearly fell out of my bed at that part, I was laughing so hard.

Strangely enough, I don't know why I didn't care for the book the first time.  I mean, true, it isn't my usual fare, but it is beautifully written.  Almost lyrical really.   I found myself to be very tense while reading it.  The scene where the boys are hiding in the storm grate as the fair has a parade through the town looking for them?  I think I held my breath for that entire chapter. '

This book is very much about the battle of good and evil, so in that sense, and through all the talk about souls - I guess I could see why Sister Eileen was so keen.   Still my take away from the book was that Bradbury didn't think a single act determined the darkness or light within - though it can start us down a path - but the culmination of little events rolled together that decide our fate.  I enjoyed it.  I'm glad I went back and actually read it, but it still isn't as good as Fahrenheit 451.  Just my opinion.  I gave it four stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment