Friday, May 29, 2020

The Ballad of Snakes and Songbirds by Suzanne Collins

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (A Hunger Games Novel)   I have been waiting to read this one since they announced she was writing a prequel.   I guess my first commentary is that it wasn't the book I wanted.  I don't enjoy Coriolanus Snow - before or now.  I was sort of hoping for a book about Finnick and Annie or even Hamitch.  But Snow?  Not so much.

Still every villain has their origin story and the same is definitely true for Snow.  This is his.  Now,  I don't usually like to post spoilers but this book simply can not be discussed without them.  So if you haven't read it, stop reading.  If you are looking for a "should I read this"?  All I can say is I am a fan and didn't love it.   For those who read it and want to hear my thoughts, enter.....








SPOILERS!!!!!!

Ok.  So Coriolanus becomes a mentor.  Not that big of a shocker and I guess if it was going to happen, a girl from district 12 seems oddly appropriate. I was shocked at the beginning of the book at the different ways that the tributes were treated.  The description of the train and then the trip to the zoo was reminiscent of the Holocaust and I'm certain that was intentional.   Collins appeared to be making a lot of political arguments throughout the book and that was part of the downside for me.  Instead of letting the story tell itself, it was, in my opinion, somewhat preachy.

So, miracle of miracle, Coriolanus gets his girl, Lucy,  through the Games.  With a lot of help and machinations, it looks as if the love birds will actually be able to be together in the Capitol.  But then, Coriolanus is caught cheating and made to become a Peacekeeper.  Who would have ever seen that one coming?

Ultimately we know how Snow's story ends.  But still, you think there must be some intervening action that made him such a shit.  The long and short answer is no.  He really just is a selfish sot and even when he had the chance to really make a change in his life, he chooses power, money,  and comfort over love.  What a sad commentary.  Though I am not sure Lucy really loved him either.  Neither of them were particularly like- able but she was at least a character that I could relate to.  I'm almost sorry I read it. I gave it 3 stars.  It's well written, I just didn't care. 





No comments:

Post a Comment