Thursday, April 30, 2020

Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid

Image of Such A Fun Age By Kiley Reid. (2019. Digital)   I got this one in my book of the month box.  The premise was so intriguing.  It is about a young woman of color who works for an affluent white family as a babysitter.   She is out with the child  at a grocery store late in the evening.  While there, she is approached by security and asked if this is her child.  A whole scene ensues.  I thought that the book was going to be about this scenario and what happens after.  Not quite.

Amira is 25, about to turn 26, and she doesn't know which way her life is going.  She is about to be dropped off her parents insurance and she needs a real job with benefits, instead, she is busy babysitting for a little girl that she just adores and her rather troubled family.

During the course of the traumatic events described in the first paragraph,  Amira meets Kelley - a man who happened to witness the events described.   The people in Amira's life have a very tangled and interwoven relationships.  I was really surprised by the plot turns that happened in this book and how it didn't evolve in the ways that I expected at all. 

I thought that "Such a Fun Age"  was in reference to the child, but in retrospect, I think it was really in reference to Amira with allusions to others in the story, too.  Not what I was expecting and if I were to give it a brief synopsis it would be "how fucked up white people try to mess up young woman of color's life".   I gave it a three.  It was enough to keep the pages turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment