Thursday, April 2, 2020

What Great Teachers Do Differently Chapters 7-13

What Great Teachers Do Differently 17 things that matter most   I continue to enjoy this really concise and wonderful book by Todd Whitaker.  Here are my reflections on Chapters 7-13. 


Probably the most important take away from this - good teachers always look for something they can control- their own performance.  I have always believed that if my students aren't understanding something that I am teaching them, they haven't failed - I HAVE.  It is my job to find a way to communicate to them so that they can understand.    It is never someone else's fault. 

Avoid the lunchroom.  Literally there is a chapter in the book about this and Mr. Whitaker doesn't mean specifically the lunchroom but rather any place that is a potential hive of negativity.  I love my coworkers and most of the time I want to share their joys and triumphs.  We all work those few though who NEVER have anything good to say.  They are always gossiping about other people, complaining, etc.... This kind of negativity is like a cancer and it is HIGHLY contagious.  Don't get caught up in it.  I realize that I have in the past.  That I react to it, even as I strive to distance myself.  I'm not going to do that anymore.  I have no time for that, and I don't want to perpetuate the drama.

Effective praise is really important.  But what does effective mean?  Mr Whitaker outlines five requirements - authentic, specific, immediate, clean and private.   Clean means no buts.... just the praise.  No add ons.  Private is the important part.  Praise that is meant to influence another students behavior isn't really effective praise.   I will be changing this when I get back to an actual classroom.

And finally the big one.  I had a really bad encounter with a coworker just before christmas break.  This co-worker misinterpreted a situation, and jumped to erroneous conclusions because she was too busy to stop and ask for clarification.  It was a really unfortunate situation and one that I understand a little better now.  It's sad really because I fear that it will always color my interaction with her.  Here's the thing though,  I need to remember this because the same thing can happen to me.  I could rush to judgment, misinterpret something a coworker or student says and my response could color their opinion of me - forever.  I want the picture that I give to my coworkers to be clear and true.  I want them to have a true reflection of who I  really am and so I have to remember that in my interactions - to be clear, concise and careful  - not rushed and hurried.  Easier said than done  but I think this is REALLY important.  I want to keep this lesson in the forefront of my mind because even though it was painful for me to experience, I would feel worse if I did this to another person, especially a student. 

No comments:

Post a Comment