Saturday, April 11, 2020

Chosen Ones by Veronica Roth

Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)  So even after Allegiant,  I picked this book up and was curious enough about the premise to read it.

The story: a Dark One arises.  He brings terror and death everywhere with him.  Magic has been unleashed on this world.  A prophecy is made and 5 Chosen Ones are named.  They join together and defeat the Dark One.  This all happens in the first chapter because this book takes place 10 years after the defeat of the Dark one.

Only now, the government is messing with magic.  Trying to weaponize it.  Because we all know that is something that the government would totally do that. 

Here's where anyone who doesn't want spoilers should stop reading, because I can't express my feelings and thoughts on this book without them.








Ok, so if you are still with me - our chosen ones get taken to another connected/ adjacent universe where magic is common place and where another Dark one exists.  He raises whole armies from the dead.  Their job?  To find him and defeat him thereby saving both worlds. 

The one thing that I did like about this book is the genius way that Veronica Roth turns the trope of the good guy always looks like the good guy on his head.   Sometimes the good guy doesn't wear a white hat and things aren't always what they seem.  I thought this part of the story was very cleverly done and I really enjoyed that.

Honestly, I think I am still pissed off about Allegiant and I don't know if I will ever really be ready for another Veronica Roth book.  This one certainly didn't help.  I gave it three stars because parts of it are well written and the story engaged me enough to continue.  Other than that, I was just glad to finish it. For someone who loves to read, ,that is the ultimate sad commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment