Monday, June 20, 2016

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
















First, I have to say that I absolutely adore Truman Capote.  I think he is a perfect writer.   I love his style and the rich verbiage that he uses.   I love the time period in which he lived and how his writing reflects that time.   He was a brilliant observer of people and their behaviors.   I think no other story more  accurately reflects that talent than this one,  Breakfast at Tiffany's. 

Most people know the story through the famous Audrey Hepburn movie.   Audrey epitomizes Holly Golightly with her simple, yet elegant, dress and her overlarge sunglasses.  I suspect as with many of his other works, that this one was based, at least loosely on his own personal experiences.  I think Holly was probably a caricature of many people. 

I loved "Fred", the writer.   I could relate to him - his excitement over being published, his fascination with Holly who is so very different from himself.    I delighted in the symbolism of the story - the masks, the cage.   It was all perfect.   Holly was a little more difficult to relate to.  Her carefree manner, her rather loose behavior with men,  and yet she is appealing.   She set her own standards, she changed and defined who she wanted to be.   She was unexpected.

All in all,  I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  I gave it 5 out of 5 stars.  I only wish that Capote would have written more.

No comments:

Post a Comment