Monday, October 26, 2015

Stray by Elissa Sussman

 Aislynn is a princess, but her life isn't as charmed as it seems.  She is 16 and just coming out for her Introduction.   She needs to find a husband by the end of her 16th year, but if she fails, she will be Redirected from her path to become a fairy godmother.

I love fariytales.   I always have and I suspect I always will.  There is something about the magic, the life lessons, the warnings entailed in them all warning us not to stray.   This book is no different.  It is a highly original reimaging of classic fairytales- so new in fact that the reader may remember aspects of a story but the whole plot doesn't apply to this retelling.

Aislynn is a bit of a sheep in this book. always willing to believe what other people tell her.   Brigid, one of the kitchen help, is a much more interesting character, in my opinion.  Still, I have high hopes for Aislynn as the story continues.  This is a series and I expect to continue on with it at some point.   I gave this one 3 out of 5 stars and I look forward to seeing how this author further develops the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment