Tuesday, August 11, 2015

This Song Will Save Your Life by Leilia Sales

This Song Will Save Your Life (German-language edition)   Well, my Nook is STILL busted so this was one of my Better World Books selections.  I gave it a 2 out of 5 stars, which some may think is a bit harsh, but I have my reasons.

This is the story of  Elise Dembowski, an awkward girl looking for her place to fit in. She struggles in highschool, not because she isn't smart, but because she is socially inept.   The beginning part of the book is about her attempt to take her own life, which even she realizes at the time that she does't actually want to do but that she is just seeking attention.  Months go by and she starts sneaking out of the house at night... just wandering when she comes across a warehouse nightclub where she seems to fit in.



I didn't like this book beacuse Elise engages in all sorts of harmful behaviors all for the need to fit in.  One of the worst, in my opinion  is engaging in a "relationship" of sorts with a boy/ that she knows is a snake. I'm so tired of female characters needed to be validated in some way by a man.  Hell I'm tired of it for real women, too.   The target audience is YA but I feel that this book is just too simplistic to have much in the way of real value.  I would not encourage my teenage daughters to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment