Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The End of an Era, Why I'm Leaving Barnes and Noble for Good....

I have been a loyal Barnes and Noble customer for more years than I can remember.  My membership card is older than my 16 year old daughter and I have been a Nook customer since the first edition came out in 2009.  This is it.  The end of an era.  I am leaving Barnes and Noble for good.

It all startd with an order of 6 books for my daughter's birthday.  I ordered them on the 5th of July and by the 15th they still hadn't shipped.  I had, however, been charged 4 times for the same order.  So essetially Barnes and Noble had over $200 of my money somewhere out in limbo for an order that wasn't even on it's way to me.  No problem,  I called customer service expecting a quick and speedy recovery of my funds.   Not so.   I called and was assured by their sales audit department that my money would be put back into my account.  Two days later that still had not happened.  I called back and talked to a sales audit supervisor, named Odell to rectify the situation.  He was outright RUDE.  He told me that I hadn't been injured by the fact that his company had my money for an order they hasn't even filled.   I warned him this would happen.  Poor customer service is just not something I can tolerate and this was the absolute worst.  It took me going to my bank and telling them that these charges were unauthorized to rectify the situation.  Almost 5 days after the initail report of the incident.  Unacceptable.
\
I finally had to cancel the order and place it with Amazon.  Two days later, my order was delivered.  It was that simple.  No extra charges.  No bullshit.  Just DELIVERY of the product that I ordered.  This seems really simple but somehow Barnes and Noble was incapable of it.

Still, I had my Nook and I loved it.  I had 60 unread books on it, so I continued on.  Then something catastrophic happened - who knows what - and my nook broke.  Of course it was past it's warranty.  S So, I began to research the benefits of an Amazon Paperwhite.  It turns out there are many:  connectivity to social media, faster connections to dictionary lookup, battery time equivalent or better to that of glowlight, bigger memory storage, cheaper books ( 6 out of 20 randomly selected from my TBR list were significantly cheaper at Amazon, the others were the smae cost at both) and the list goes on.  So I ask myself, why should I be loyal to a company that clearly doesn't deserve it?  The answer is simple - it doesn't.  So I'm shredding my membership card, taking my over $500 a year in books alone and moving my business to Amazon.  Sorry Barnes and Noble, you had your chance. And you blew it.

No comments:

Post a Comment