Saturday, August 29, 2020

Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno Garcia

 Mexican Gothic    I mean, look at this cover!  I had to read it.  It's so lush my curiosity was immediately peaked.  This is the story of Noemi, a young socialite who receives a frantic letter from her newly married cousin that things are very wrong and she must come rescue her.

This had a Bram Stocker's Dracula meets Daphne DeMaurier's Rebecca kind of feel to it to me.  And yet, the story was remarkably unique.   Noemi makes her way to the far away manor of High Point to ascertain for herself what is going on with her cousin.  She finds a nearly abandoned manner - almost like that which Ms. Havisham lives in within the pages of Great Expectations.  There is definitely a mystery that Noemi will need to unravel.  Will she be able to rescue her cousin and herself?  Gotta say,  I just thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Even though it is branded as horror - I wouldn't say that is really accurate.  I don't like horror, but gave this one a try anyway because I enjoy the author's writing.  She also wrote Gods of Jade and Shadow.   I would say it's more suspenseful with some aspects of horror mixed it.  I gave it four stars.  I look forward to reading more from this author. 

No comments:

Post a Comment