Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Our Chemical Hearts Krystal Sutherland

Our Chemical Hearts by Krystal Sutherland


This is a story about high school.  It's a story about first love.  It's a story about life.  My daughter's favorite librarian recommended this one to both of us, so I gave it a shot.  Perfect for the "recommended by a librarian"  part of my reading challenge.

Henry has never been in love.  He thinks he is impervious.  He wants to survive his senior year, become editor of the school paper and move on.   Then he meets Grace Town and his romantic heart begins to beat.  I'd say that Grace isn't like other girls, but I hate it when books and reviews say that - it sounds so trite.  Grace becomes the co-editor of the paper and Harry discovers that there is something very mysterious about Grace. 

I don't want to give the plot away.   So I will just tell you what I liked about this book instead.  I love that the reader gets the full flush of exactly what young love feels like - the rush of hormones,  the urgency of it all.   I love that the reader also comes to understand that sometimes  love just isn't enough. I gave this one four stars.   I highly recommend it for 8 - 12 graders.

No comments:

Post a Comment