Sunday, February 28, 2016

The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens


This one just captured me - the cover, the title... all of it. I read this for my reading challenge task #55 -protagonist of a different gender.   I could also have used it for: a book from the best seller list, murder mystery, a book title that starts with L, a book with an anti-hero and a debut novel, if you are looking for something to work into those categories.

This book is the story of Joe Talbert, a college student who has worked hard to remove himself from difficult life circumstances.   He has an English assignment to write a biography but doesn't wish to use anyone from his own family. Instead, he goes to the local nursing home where he is introduced to Carl Iverson, a man suffering from cancer who was convicted of murder in the 1980's.

I don't want to tell too much about this book except to say that I loved it from start to finish.  The characters were all beautifully developed, with strong background stories even for supporting characters.  I have added other works by this author to my TBR list.  I give this one 5 out of 5 stars and highly recommend it to all.   Outstanding book.

No comments:

Post a Comment