Saturday, January 23, 2016

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. DIck - task 2 a Hugo Award winner


This book won the Hugo award in 1963.   I became interested in this book after seeing promos for the Amazon series of the same name.  This is an alternative reality, in which the Axis powers actually won the war.   The Nazis and the Japanese manage to get the bomb first and drop it on Washington, DC.  They then split our country into the New Reich, which is the East Coast and the Pacific States which is the west coast.  In the middle - the neutral zone where just about anything goes.

I loved the premise of this book, but I had some issues with it.  The plot is slow to develop and with so many characters all interacting, it quickly becomes tedious remembering who they are and how they are relevant to one another.  I found it annoying that the writing of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, which is a critical part of the plot, was left to the I-Ching, which is an ancient Chinese text that is used for divination.  Although the truth revealing the truth is an interesting concept, after all the effort of reading about the various characters involved in this story, particularly the Man in the High Castle, it felt like a bit of a let down.   This book was not all I hoped it would be.  I gave it two stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment