Sunday, November 20, 2016

Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult

Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult    Let me start by saying that I am a Jodi Picoult fan.  If you have been reading my blog for any length of time, you already know that.  Up to this point, 19 minutes was my favorite Picoult.    My only complaint with Ms. Picoult's writing is that in a rush to find something controversial to write about, her story lines sometimes become formulaic, so I approach new releases with a cautious curiosity.

The title and cover of this one intrigued me.   I knew within the first page that it was going to be amazing and by the end of the first chapter, I knew it would replace 19 Minutes as my favorite.  This is the story of Ruth, a black woman who has worked for 20 years as a labor and delivery nurse.  She shows up to work one day, goes into the room to help a couple who has just had a baby and is met with the worst sort of discrimination.   She is removed from helping the patient because the parents are white supremacists. 

I don't want to give the plot away, but I will tell you that the twists and turns just keep coming.  This book opened my eyes in ways I couldn't have imagined - as we go shopping with Ruth and her lawyer and see the way Ruth is treated because of her color.  Even the way her co-workers respond to the worst sort of discrimination was absolutely reprehensible and like so many, they didn't even realize it.

I loved every minute of this book.  It was almost impossible to put down, and it was a very quick read.  I gave it five stars but if I could give it 20, I would.  It's THAT good.

No comments:

Post a Comment